Thursday, March 8, 2012

Airing dirty laundry

I made laundry detergent of borax, washing soda and a bar of soap over the summer and haven't yet run out. The recipe estimated it costs around $.01 per 1/2 cup load.

I don't have a washing machine so typically I bring loads of dirty laundry to friends houses whenever I get a dinner invite. Recently, after an unfortunate incident during an experiment with fanny pack wine (hint: aim pour spout down) I got out my hand crank pressure washer and my roommate's white shirt was returned to its former glory.

Tonight I've decided to tackle a larger basket. Add clothing, hot water and homemade detergent to washer, crank from time to time, rinse and hang dry. Minimal electricity (depending on water heating source), biodegradable and not super poison detergent, enjoy with a gin and tonic!

No comments: