Monday, September 21, 2009

Let there be peace on earth...

Today is the International Day of Peace and for my part, I'm going to spend some time today thinking about how I can be more peaceful in my own life. What can I do to become more peaceful as I deal with roommates, colleagues, Northeastern telemarketers asking me for more money (I seriously wish we COULD give up first born children as payment).

I'm going to reflect today on all of the times and moments I spend - even just in my head - being violent or negative about myself or others. I'm going to think about ways to replace those with understanding and peace.

I'm going to think about the work I do and the movements I'm in and all the slogans ("if you're not angry you're not paying attention", describing the movement as "the fight")and how these phrases create thoughts and actions that do not stem from peace.

I'm going to think about how I can each day take the time to feel peaceful instead of frantic.

Let it begin with me.

2 comments:

Danine said...

Excellent idea. I wish I was as noble as you. Then I wouldn't have such negative thoughts towards Republicans trying to derail health care reform. :-P

Seriously, though, the problem is so big I don't even know where to start.

sharna said...

Great post. Peace does begin in our own minds. Thanks for the heads up!