Thursday, April 17, 2008

A girl who's in love with the world

Last weekend I spent 5 hours in the ER with two teenaged girls and the boyfriend that drove them to the hospital after a gang rape at a party.

Later that day in seemingly unrelated news I joined The Couch Surfing Project. The idea is kind of like hitch hiking in the cyber age. You make a profile, list your location and then when traveling can look up people at given destination and ask to crash on their couch (or go to coffee, get a tour etc).

So far everyone's reaction has been "way to sign yourself up to get Raped and killed by a psycho predator". And so far my response has been "I could be Raped at any given party on any given Friday night at a house of a close friend. Why fake a sense of security when actually a woman's twice as likely to be assaulted by an acquaintance.

I'll prefer to be in love with the world. There's only so much one can do - and then there but for the grace...

No comments: