Saturday, October 6, 2007

There's no place like Soulive





Last Friday my cousin Samm got married - the first of all my cousins (26 total). It was a beautiful ceremony, followed by a reception where no drinking or dancing was allowed. Stripped of my families two wedding talents, we left shortly thereafter. (The bride and groom were just 20, and dancing is a sin).

I dashed from Troy, NY Saturday morning to make it to Boston. The first time in my life I won something cool it was two tickets to Soulive. Soulive is awesome, and I wasn't tempting karma by not going just because Boston is far and I haven't seen my family in years (my grandmother was at the wedding, I haven't seen her since my high school graduation). I got to Boston, found some on street parking by my friend Jenn's house, and had 30 minutes before the doors opened. Then I got a call that the girl I offered the extra ticket to missed the bus and wasn't coming. Rather than scramble at the last minute to find someone else to go, probably someone who wouldn't appreciate Soulive as they should be appreciated, I made a big girl decision (tempting karma in mind); I went alone. And gave the extra ticket to the kid with dreads behind me. He didn't believe me. I think that's GOT to be good for some extra winning karma, right?

If it's in my 5 year plan to move to the West Coast, I'm certainly going to be there not knowing anyone for awhile. I should prepare for this by getting over my discomfort of going out alone. I not only stayed for the entire show (it was incredible!)I talked to some strangers, deflected a drunk frat guy (who looked a lot like the last drunken frat guy that hit on me in Boston...coincidence?) DANCED, and had myself a grand little time. Side note "I'm not here with anyone" was a surprisingly strong pick-up line. I'm more than a little creeped out by that.


Then Jenn and I went out "just for a little" keeping in mind that I had to work in northern NH at 11 the next morning. We went to 3 different bars, had $10 martini's bought for us by a guy so drunk he forgot to come back and talk to us, and got home somewhere around 3.30. I woke up 4 hours later, drove to Hanover, and worked a full day shift. So worth it.

1 comment:

Tara said...

what kind of christians are they?? but more importantly, that's an awesome pic of you with your sisters and dad!