Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I fell up stairs twice last week.








My new pretty shoes (that make my feet spazm at mere sight). I'm going to wear them to the wedding. Nate says he'll carry me if need be. He's also well versed in my naked foot tendencies. I think we'll be ok.



I had a Serg date today (in lieu of a mom date). My latest gay date perk: walking into a restaurant holding hands like lace, then shocking the table next to us by discussing the merits of penis.*

Advice for daughters from mothers with avatars of butts, thongs and beer.

"Oughtn’t a woman to have considered the impending culturally- and legally- mandated dissolution of her human rights before she decided to reproduce?" -Twisty

So far this week I seem to have regained my balance.

"And that," put in the Director sententiously, "that is the secret of happiness and virtue–liking what you've got to do. All conditioning aims at that: making people like their unescapable social destiny."

My distinguished old British professor called me "quite a good little Marxist" today. On the second day of class.

Fact: my physical landscape has changed drastically. Smaller feet, smaller boobs, smaller waist, bigger ass. I have no idea what to do with any of this and it's throwing me off kilter. Particularly the ass. Where did it come from and what do I do with it? Is fat-ass something you can catch? Is it like if people call you it too many times it happens?

Brett Dennen - Ain't no Reason
Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Maroon5 - Makes Me Wonder
Allison Krauss & Union Station - I Don't Know Why

And I love my professor. The moment I left the first class yesterday I knew that he will be a constant epiphany for me for the next 6 weeks. I went directly to a computer and tried to transfer into any other class he was teaching this semester. Sadly, I could not.
[short side rant - As excited as I am to be out of here ASAP, I'm completely bummed on the things that are just starting to happen that I'm going to miss. The NU Violence Against Women's Center is JUST getting started, Claire is going to take it amazing places and I'm so sad I won't be here to help. I find a professor in my last sociology class whom I can't even wrap my mind around and I only get to witness him for 20something days. Where were these people and these things the past 4 years I've been wasting? In my life, most of the large transitions (which I railed against) were eventually mediated in hindsight because of wonderful things that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Example: I moved to Sunapee while devestating, the people and experiences there got me to here. Unfortunately, I feel like the experiences I've had at NU, while largely good, have been uninspiring. I could have had a similar experience anywhere (and probably saved a lot of money). It's a depressing thought, even more so when it seems that I'm only recognizing all the opportunities too late. My mentor told me we all come to things in our own time, everything is necessary in getting there. I just really feel this time like I'm leaving right when it's getting good.]
Moral - Stalk your professors before the last semester?

Maybe this time I'll figure it out sooner than later. If nothing else the last 4 years have certainly given me time to fully analyze what it is exactly that I'm looking for.

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

*Relax, we ask to be seated in age appropriate areas.

No comments: