Monday, January 22, 2007

For Choice


Today is the anniversary of Roe v. Wade AND the re-enactment of the Global Gag Rule. The first is pretty good, the other really bad. We're supposed to blog today about why we're pro-choice. I think that would be a very long blog for me.

I don't love the label "choice" because while it is accurate; I do believe that all people should choose their fate, I don't believe it conveys how deeply offensive, how dehumanizing, how violent it is to take away a woman's agency in her body. The very physical representation of who she is on this earth. I'll take it because it is the only language I know to express what I know to be true. Pro-choice is not just about abortion to me. Abortion is a medical proceedure, it wouldn't warrent so much emotion if it was just about a surgery. (If men needed abortions, they would be legal, and free.) This is about someone telling me that I am not even human enough to take care of my body, to make decisions that change in the most basic way how I am able to live my life as a being on this earth. This is about taking away my most basic control in order to keep women subserviant and the dominance in this country secure. How can a woman run a business, or a country, when she can't even control her own uterus?

If nothing else in this world, my body is mine. And no one has the right to tell me what to do with it. Not with abortion, not with tattoos and piercings, not by taking away my right to talk about my body, and what it is capable of (look it up www.globalgagrule.org). No one gets to hit or hurt my body, no one gets to talk about my body when I walk by on the street.

Being Pro-Choice means that I believe that I am worth more than my abillity to make babies. I believe that women know what is best in their own lives. Pro-Choice is my rebellion; my struggle to make the world a better place. Pro-Choice is my sense of what is right and wrong, my protection over the only thing that is truly mine, my opportunity to inheret the agency and voice of those who have struggled to get us this far.

Pro-Choice is my revolution.

No comments: